Category: Default

What You Need To Know About ESTA

ESTA or the Electronic System for Travel Authorization is a visa that you need to get if you are entering the United States without another travel visa. ESTA is required by citizens from countries that have a visa-waiver agreement with the US. There are a number of facts that you need to know about ESTA before you book your US holiday.

Do You Have To Get An ESTA?

If you are going to be visiting the United States, you have to get an ESTA. This is also required even if you are going to be getting a connecting flight in the US which is taking you outside of the country. You will be able to stay in the country for up to 90 days, but if you want to stay for longer, you will need to get a tourist visa.

How Do You Apply?

The application process for this visa can only be done via the ESTA website. The application does not take very long and most people are able to complete this within 10 minutes. You should complete the application as soon as possible and before you book any holiday travel. The visa can be rejected and you may lose the money you have spent on the holiday in these cases.

When applying for the visa, you will need to pay a fee. This fee should never be more than $14 and if it is, you are not on the official website. This fee is non-refundable and will be taken from your payment card even if your application is rejected.

Does ESTA Ensure Entrance?

Having an ESTA visa does not guarantee entrance into the United States. You will need one to board the plane to the country, but the border control authorities will have the final say. If you have an ESTA, you could still be denied entry to the country and you need to be aware of this.

How Long Is The Visa Valid?

When looking at any visa, you need to consider how long it is valid for. ESTA is valid for 2 years or until the passport that you have used expires. This does not mean that you are able to stay in the country for the full 2 years. You will be able to enter the country multiple times based on the visa, but you cannot stay for longer than 90 days.